`
"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

~Hebrews 12: 1-2

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Some New Experiments!

I have been following The Dairy Crossbred Blog for over a year now.  I enjoy reading about their experiments with different breeds and genetics.  Some things I agree with and some I don't.  In reading the blog it has inspired me to try another breed with our herd.  So, this year I looked through the sire cataloge and picked three or four bulls that interested me.  Then, I e-mailed the company to see which bulls are actually available.  The borders being closed have limited supplies so the bull I that was my first choice was not available, but I found one that I hope will not disappoint.

This will be my first steps with Montbeliarde!  The bull I chose was Arobase.  I wanted to try Avallon, but unfortunately he was not available.  I ordered the semen from Creative Genetics of California.  They were excellent to work with and sent the order very quickly.  Here it is!



They even sent us a free Procross t-shirt!  I wish it was in my size, but I think it might fit Danny better.  I hope it at least fits one of us.  It may be too small for him and too big for me :/  Ah well, I would wear it anyway.

I also am trying out an MRY bull this year as well.  I have heard good things about them--one of the positive things I have heard is that though they carry more flesh, they are not as big as Montbeliardes.  The drawback of the MRY breed is that there is limited selection without the borders being closed let alone with them shut down.  The bull I am trying of the MRY's is Dos 4 from CRV.  The nice thing about CRV is that they have a sales representative close to our area, so I didn't have to pay for shipping!

Eventually, I would like to narrow my crossbreeding selection down to about three different breeds.  The breeds that are in our herd are:  Holstein, Jersey, Milking Shorthorn, Normande, Ayrshire, Dutch Belt, Lineback, Swedish Red, and Norwegian Red...I don't think I am forgetting any of them.

The breeds I am actively using to breed with are New Zealand Ayrshire, British Friesian, Finnish Ayrshire, Lineback, New Zealand Holstein, New Zealand Kiwi Cross, Jersey, Norwegian Red, Normande, American Ayrshire, and now Montbeliarde and MRY.  Some of these bulls are leftovers that I am simply trying to use up.

I am in full on preparing for breeding season.  I am slowly but surely matching up which bulls are on the service sire list for which cows.  I might try to write out my system later, but that will be for a different post.

Blessings to you all in the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment